- World AIDS Day RED RUN
A 10k/5k charity fun run and 5K walk in support of HIV services
Since 2009, over £655,000 has been raised via the World AIDS Day RED RUN
to support and strengthen the UK's response to HIV!
In 2021 the RED RUN raised
“The Red Run is a joyful event. Whether you run, walk or just stand about, you’ll know you’re doing it for the essential case of drawing attention and raising funds for HIV organisations across the country. I’m really looking forward to it.” - Sir Ian McKellen (2019 guest of honour)
**** STAY TUNED FOR DETAILS ABOUT THE 2022 WORLD AIDS DAY RED RUN ****
Since 2009, East London’s HIV charity – Positive East – has organised the World AIDS Day RED RUN on the last weekend of November (just before World AIDS Day on 1st Dec). What began 12 years ago with just 50 people running a 10k run through Richmond Park, is now a large community event shared and enjoyed by thousands.
Past special guests have included Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, Sir Ian McKellen and Dame Barbara Windsor. In addition, the event has played host to spoken word performances, AIDS quilt displays, drag singers and international DJs. The growth and success of the event so far is only down to the incredible support of those who have taken part. We want people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to join together and make a positive impact in their community.
Who benefits from the event?
The World AIDS Day RED RUN benefits charities that support and empower people living with HIV and their communities. 100% of the proceeds raised from the event will go to your charity of choice (selected upon registration). This year, we are so pleased that 22 HIV charities have joined in the event, allowing each to raise vital funds which will strengthen our collective response to HIV.
MORE THAN A RUN!
The World AIDS Day RED RUN is a celebration, an acknowledgement of work still to be done and an opportunity for each of us to remember those whose fight against HIV ended too soon. Anchoring the route itself is the RED RUN Village, where we can all gather before and after the event.
- DJs from Horse Meat Disco and Eagle London
- Drag superstars DENIM will again host the event
- Free hot drinks
- UK AIDS Memorial Quilt display
- Charity stalls
- An AIDS memorial
- A small display of HIV and AIDS public health poster campaigns from Wellcome Collection.
How to Register
The registration fee is £20 to take part in the event and complete the 5k/10k route. Upon registration, you will be able to select which charity you would like to support through fundraising. A representative from your chosen charity will contact you and will be available to guide you as you encourage friends and family to donate in the weeks leading up to the event. If you have any questions before you register, please contact Ian Montgomery.
It is free to attend and enjoy the festivities, and we encourage you to bring friends, family, neighbours and colleagues to do so!
A simple, flat and joyful 10k/5k fun run or 5k walk through leafy Victoria Park. The event is open to all, and we encourage everyone to join no matter your age, background or athletic ability. And the more seasoned runners will be pleased to know that the event will be chipped time and everyone will be able to see their own timings soon after the event.
We’re Not Done Yet
It has now been 40 years since the first recorded cases of HIV/AIDS were confirmed. In recent years, we have witnessed significant medical and social advancements in the world of HIV.
- New HIV diagnoses are down
- We have achieved the UNAIDS target of 90-90-90 (90% of those living with HIV are diagnosed, 90% of those diagnosed are on treatment, and 90% of those on treatment have a reduced viral load)
- PrEP works and is now available in the UK on the NHS
- U=U (Undetectable = Untransmittable) – meaning that if someone living with HIV adheres to their medication, it suppresses the virus so much that it is biologically impossible to pass it on sexually.
However, alongside these fantastic developments, we know that not all communities are benefitting, and HIV stigma is still all too common. There are currently 35,000,000 people living with HIV around the world, 103,000 of whom are in the UK (40,000 in London). We have mourned the loss of tens of millions of people whose fight against HIV ended too soon.
Take Action. Lace Up.
Join us and lace up for the 2021 World AIDS Day RED RUN.
The event is managed and organised by Positive East – East London’s leading HIV charity. However, the event benefits the HIV sector more widely. The World AIDS Day RED RUN would not be possible if it was not for the dedication, skills and passion of over 130 volunteers who donated 700 hours of support last year! If you want to get more involved and volunteer at the 2021 event, please email Maria Kubler
The World AIDS Day RED RUN will take all the precautions necessary to ensure a safe experience for all who attend. Details will be updated as the event nears, following government guidance.
- Run, Walk or Sashay!
- 10:50 – event begins (Registration and bag check opens). You will receive your arrival time group and event information via email
- 12:00 bag check & registration closes
- 12:20 – Ceremony begins with ribbon cutting at 12:30 (run/walk to begin shortly after)
- £20 registration fee (plus processing fee)
- Official T-shirt
- Pre, during and post event entertainment provided by the Eagle and Horse Meat Disco
- UK AIDS Memorial Quilt display
- Pop-Up AIDS Memorial
- HIV poster display from the Wellcome Collection
- Chipped timed 5/10k route
- All ages and abilities are welcome
- Secure bag check and toilet facilities
The World AIDS Day RED RUN is organised by east London based HIV charity – Positive East. If you would like more information about the event please email Ian Montgomery email@example.com
It all starts right here.
The after party
Stay tuned for details about the 2022 World AIDS Day RED RUN afterparty!
website by zdravkogeorgiev.com